2012 has been a strange year for me personally with circumstances leaving me housebound with a broken leg for the last 4 months of the year. However this has left me with an insane amount of reading time which is going to make writing this following post hard to do as I have so many books to pick between!
A year of insane amounts of reading has meant I've had a chance to reorganise myself somewhat mainly because I have pretty much wiped out my TBR pile entirely. This has been brilliant because it has given me the chance to read loads of 2013 books and have a lot more flexibility about what I read and when without the pressure of release deadlines!
before I move onto the books just a quick thank you to all the wonderful bloggers who make this insane habit of mine brilliant each and everyday. I love you all to bits but a few of you deserve a special mention or two
- Sarah for putting up with my random text questions, for letting me crash at your house, for looking after me on the tube when I was making a drunken menace of myself for coming and looking after my sorry broken legged self even though I couldn't do or go anywhere exciting and being the crazy girly you generally are (even if you have disturbed my mind of late with some of the racier titles you read
- Carly for being the fabbest and coolest person I know who geeks out to books as much as I do. I love our gossiping sessions!
- Lyndsey another special mention for looking after me in my broken legged state but also for the lunch time cocktail drinking (while not in a broken legged state) and for getting my OCD ways and for finally giving me someone to save me from the insane schemes of the boys in my life
- Laura for being your generally fab and spooky self. I love our geek out sessions on twitter
- Raimy again for being your dino loving geeky self. I think you are fab
plus Jesse, Caroline, Cicely, Sophie, Sammee, Emma, Viv, Keris, Casey, Liz, Essjay, Bella, Raimy, Michelle, Matt, Darren, Lynsey, Faye, Lucy, Susan, Leanna, Jess, Nicole, Melissa, Non, Andy, Kristi and SJ (plus anyone else I've missed ... I blame the broken legged mushy brainness I've been having of late)
A special mention to my reading group at school *waves* you girlies make me smile with your book excitment. Cheers for not telling the entire world / school about my geeky ways!
To all the lovely publicists & authors I have met online and in person this year and have tolerated my geeky fan girling, invited me to events, sent me stuff to read (especially those who sent me broken legged care packages!) and generally been your fab selves. You all inspire me every day!
ONTO THE BOOKS!!!!
This isn't a top 10 list. I don't think I could even write one. If you want to see the books I enjoyed each month check out my month review posts as I've picked out some fab titles as and when I read them each month which are all excellent. This list is something a bit different designed to make me think as I read the huge number of books I have the chance to read this year (280 and counting as of 9/12/12)
MOST SURPRISING BOOK READ IN 2012: What's up with Jody Barton by Hayley Long
I love this book but can't tell you why! It is brilliant and perfect and just fab. I ended up with a box of samplers which Hayley sent to me and lost a good 20 minutes of a lesson whilst every child in the room sat and read it. Just brilliant!
BEST SERIES OF 2012: Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare
I love it! I can't wait for the next one! I need more Jace and Clary! I can't not wait for the film next year!
NEW AUTHOR OF 2012: James Dawson
Mr James Dawson quite honestly there aren't the words to do him justice. I love his writing style. I love his humour. I loved Hollow Pike completely. I'm expecting great things in 2013 from this fine young gentleman.
MOST UNPUTDOWNABLE BOOK OF 2012: All these things I've done by Gabrielle Zevin
quite honestly I loved this book. It is brilliant in every way but I particularly loved the main character because she was so strong and awesome.
MOST ANTICIPATED BOOK OF 2012: Adorkable by Sarra Manning
BOOK THAT HAD THE BIGGEST IMPACT IN 2012: Wonder by RJ Palacio
It just made me want to be nice to people all the time.
MOST BEAUTIFUL BOOK OF 2012: The terrible thing that happened to Barnaby Brocket by John Boyne
Just a gorgeous book on every level!
BOOK I WOULD MOST RECOMMEND IN 2012: Arabesque by Colin Mulhern
I loved it. I love Colin's writing and the ending is pure evil genius!
BOOK I CAN'T BELIEVE I DIDN'T READ UNTIL 2012: The Perks of Being a Wallflower
such a brilliant book! Why wasn't this brought into my life sooner??
BEST BOOK READ IN 2012: Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar
Without a shadow of a doubt this is the book I loved most this year. It is just wonderful on every level. Pure quality, gorgeous, heart-breaking. Just read it!
Here's to a fab 2013. Bring on the books!