Five Things You Didn’t Know About Mella from In Your Light
My new novel, In Your Light, is about secrets, sisters and running away. It tells the story of sixteen-year-old Lil, whose life fell apart four months ago when her older sister, Mella, vanished without a trace. It is Lil’s love for her sister and the desperate search to find her that drives the narrative.
I love Mella as a character – she’s probably one of my favourites in the whole book. I can see her so clearly in my mind: emotionally vulnerable but fiercely independent, the life-and-soul of a party but desperately lonely inside, funny and extrovert but also quiet and insecure. She has suffered from mental health issues all her life, but she hides it so that even her mum and sister don’t really know what’s going on with her. I was keen to show that it’s really hard to ask for help, and sometimes we don’t know that someone is suffering because they are so good at hiding their true feelings.
Here are five things you might not know about Mella...
1. Mella is short for Melanie. When Lil was little, she couldn't say Melanie and it kept coming out as Mella. The name stuck.
2. Mella is a big romantic. She adores old romantic comedies like Brief Encounter, Breakfast at Tiffany's and Casablanca.
3. She is short-sighted. You won't know this because she never wears glasses, or contact lenses. She just walks around with everything a bit blurry.
4. She is always late, for everything.
5. Her biggest fear is that her family will not be able to forgive her for what she's done.
In Your Light by Annalie Grainger is out now (£7.99. Simon & Schuster)